Unseasonably Warm January Day

ImageYesterday was unseasonably warm for Wisconsin in January.   We chose Saturday instead of Sunday for our farm day because of it.  Today, we woke up to single digit temperatures.  Fahrenheit, in case there is any question about that.

After breaking an axe chopping wood last weekend, D. wanted to try out his new carbon fiber handle axe this weekend.  It works great!  More oak and some elm has been split and stacked.  Then he moved on to barn demolition.  That’s good because the loose parts of the metal roof of the small barn  sheet metal roof have been banging in the wind.  It’s kind of annoying.

ImageI, on the other hand puttered.  There’s really no other word for it.  I rescued a twisted wire hook from a door we’d removed from the farm house and two more from the stairway to the basement.  I’m hoping they’ll have a new life at some point.  Then I gathered up and stacked some of the twigs from last week’s pruning.  It’s good to have them out from under the apple trees.  It’s pretty clear that the rabbits were enjoying some of that sweet, young tender apple bark from branches that they couldn’t normally reach.  After that I moved on to removing some of the lumber from the areas around the house since a lot of the snow has melted.  I separated wood with nails from wood without nails and we’ll deal with all of that some time later.  I made sure we had warm food to eat and I drew a bucket of water from the spring house so that I could boil water to wash dishes.  I downloaded the pictures from the SD card on the trail cam onto my iPad.  Some deer.  The back half of probably a skunk.  One picture where who knows why the camera engaged.

Eventually, I wandered up the the small barn on the hill with D’s water bottle.  I asked if he wanted to walk or if he just wanted to work for as long as the light allowed.  He chose the latter, and I went for a walk all the way to the back by myself, checking out the area around the coyote den, a couple of deer trails we don’t normally walk and all the animal tracks I could find.  It was a warm day more typical of March and now all the roofing on the south side of the barn is gone and most of the north side.  It’ll be interesting to me to see what the next step in deconstruction is.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Biodiversity, Ecology, the farm. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s