I got this meme from my friend Melanie over at Sunshine is Free. Not a bad way to sum up the year. If you do the meme, let me know.
It comes as no surprise to me that quite a number of my answers reference paddle sports.
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Solo kayak trip down the last 80+ miles of the Wisconsin River from Mazomanie to Wyalusing State Park on the Mississippi River
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Never make New Year’s resolutions
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not this year, but very soon in 2010
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Nobody close to me died in 2009.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A bigger wildflower garden and an orderly herb garden
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Our summer solstice canoe camping trip
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Again the Wisconsin River trip
9. What was your biggest failure?
I never did finish the blog entry I meant to do from my notes from the solo 4 day kayak trip. I think I should still do it even though it’s not timely anymore.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing major, but one nasty insect sting sustained while biking to work which made part of my face swell up for nearly a week.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Definitely the new kayak.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My husband’s. He makes good stuff great and bad stuff not so bad.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Besides the necessary stuff, probably REI and Rutabaga.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Kayaking on the St. Croix. A backpacking trip to Southern Illinois that ended up turning into a different kind of camping trip due to tornado damage where we intended to go.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a) sadder; b) about the same; c) I’m not really sure.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
cross-country skiing and paddling. kitchen remodeling got in the way of some of the good snow and no matter how much canoeing and kayaking I get, I always want more.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Quietly at home which was nice, especially since we had freezing rain.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
I think we both fell in love with southwestern Wisconsin this year.
22. How many one-night stands?
I don’t think this question has ever applied to me.
23. What was your favorite TV program?
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
25. What was the best book you read?
I read a lot of books, so it’s hard to pick, but probably “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle” by Barbara Kingsolver or “The Revolution Will not be Microwaved” by Sandor Ellix Katz
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Didn’t make one
27. What did you want and get?
Lots of good opportunities to get outside.
28. What did you want and not get?
I’m not sure.
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Probably Slumdog Millionaire. We didn’t make it to a lot of movies this year, but I had wanted to see this one since before it opened in Madison.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I enjoyed another Friday the 13th birthday for my 41st birthday. We spent the weekend moving stuff back into our remodeled kitchen.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Immeasurably? That’s a tough question.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
33. What kept you sane?
Out door time, solitude and my husband’s ability to even things out when I get wound up about things.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I’ve never been one for celebrity crushes.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
As always, environmental issues.
36. Who did you miss?
I miss my parents now and then.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
It’s hard to say, but probably Celia or Yi-Chian.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009 .
I’m not sure I could answer this question even if I thought about it for a long time.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Ugh. I’m just not good with these music questions.